The history of the Lünerseebahn
As with most cableways, the Lünerseebahn was developed during the construction of a power plant. At the start of the 1950s, the construction of a cableway was commissioned by Vorarlberg Illwerke to develop the site and to handle material transportation to the Lünersee. Upon completion of construction works, the lift was adapted for public passenger transport.
On 22 June 1959, the former Federal Minister granted the concession for the operation of a single-tracked cableway with shuttle operation from Schattenlagant to the Lünersee with a cabin for 30 people.
Instead of the cabin, there was a material roller for transporting 3 tonnes. Heavy loads of up to 6 tonnes could be transported by means of additional hangers.
As the Lünersee became one of the most popular excursion destinations, modifications were made to the lift in the 60s and 70s to improve passenger transportation. The cabin was replaced, giving it a capacity of 50 people.
In 1993, a new cabin was purchased which provided more comfort for passengers and was state-of-the-art. The cabin had space for 47 people.
In 1995, the traction cable was re-laid.
The suspension rope was replaced in 1997.
In 2004, the entire drive system and the brake unit was completely overhauled by the company Doppelmayr from Wolfurt.
The valley and summit station buildings were replaced in 2007 and 2008. The WC facilities as well as the entrances and exits were made wheelchair-accessible. The drinking water supply in the summit station was also replaced.
At the end of October 2009, the cableway received a new drive unit from the company Steurer from Doren.
With the acquisition of a self-driving recovery vehicle from the company Reisch from Frastanz, the extensive renovations of the previous years came to a close.
Technical details on the Lünerseebahn
|Lift||Type||Elevation difference||Transport capacity (P/h)||Length in metres|
|Lünerseebahn||Aerial tramway||414.50 m||355||789.10|
Lünersee and Lünerseebahn
After approx. just 6 minutes on the Lünerseebahn, you reach the pearl of the Alps, Lünersee, at approx. 1,970 m above sea level. It is one of the largest mountain lakes in Vorarlberg and also the largest reservoir for power generation. At the time of its commissioning in 1958, the Lünerseewerk was the most powerful pumped storage power station in the world. The Lünersee is approx. 112 hectares and has a maximum filling volume of 78.3 million m³.